Time management–it’s one of the toughest things we face in this rush-rush world. When your trying to take a passion and turn it into a career, prioritizing becomes the order of the day.
I’m an obsessive list maker: task lists, grocery lists, album/book inventory lists…so developing a proirity list is not only easy but fun. The real problem comes when I try to stick to that list.
Part of my compulsive behavior means when life’s surprises pop up and throw a monkey wrench into the day. I don’t handle it too well. So, what’s the answer? Here are some time management tips that help keep me on track.
- Don’t over schedule - Be reasonable with your time. Goals that pus you are great, but always falling short leaves you frustrated.
- Build in buffers — If you expect something to take twenty minutes, plan for twenty-five or thirty. Don’t make the buffers huge, but enough to allow for errors and unexpected issues.
- Prioritize – When possible schedule your most important items early in the day. That way, the big (and most important) items get crossed off the to-do list.
- Be Flexible – Try to take life (and it’s little surprises) as they come.
- Pat Yourself on the Back – Recognize your accomplishments. Even if you fall short some days, look at what you did finish! Every little bit counts in the grand scheme of things.
What are some of your time management tips?