So, I’m a little late getting back to the grind. The week following RWA was filled with much more ‘catch up’ than I anticipate. I saw Rick Springfield at Centennial Terrace in Sylvania, OH last night, which inspired this post.
I’ve talked about it on these pages before. A lot of my inspiration comes from things I hear in music. I happen to see one of my favorites, Rick Springfield last night and while listening to the music many of the similes and metaphors for love rang out like a church bell.
Finding new ways to express true, deep and resonating emotions can be difficult and some of the best come out in song. I’ve always felt a special kinship to the line in “Venus in Overdrive” – “I write words about it / but I doubted / if I even / have a clue.” Writing about love and loving relationships is difficult. (Not sex, tab a inserted into slot b is the easy stuff) but the underlying emotions and the true affairs of the heart well, that’s a very different story isn’t it?
(Note: after I hit publish I felt the need to clarify. Writing good physical encounter scenes is hard. Very hard. But for me, personally, the hardest part of it is making sure the emotions and the sensuality are being conveyed)
So find below a list of just some of my favorite lyrics about love and life, all found in Rick Springfield songs.
• “Affair of the Heart” – “The smell of your skin can light up the fires in me.”
• “Souls” – “He met her one endless night / her eyes had a light.”
• “Love is Alright” – “With the night comes a feeling that I’ve got this incredible power
Gonna love her Daddy, she’ll be feeling it tonight.”
• “What’s Victoria’s Secret?” – “But I know she’s not what’s best for me / and I know she’ll cause me harm / And I know she’d rather fly away / to someone else’s arms.”
• “Beautiful You” – “Beautiful you / You don’t have a clue / You star in the story of my life.”
• “Will I?” – “So I lied and said that I’m okay / Cause there’s the way you are / and the way I wish you were.”
• “Living In Oz” – “I’m thirsty for affection / let me drink from your loving cup.”
• “One Reason” – “Trying to get faith from the $8.50 paperbacks / Hoping they’ll show me the way (the way to what).”
• “Lust” – “Insipid smile on my face and a dumb remark / I trip, slip, slide over the precipice.”
And of course, what kind of list would it be without a “Jessie’s Girl” Lyric: “I feel so dirty when they start talking cute / I wanna tell her that I love her but the point is probably mute.
Here’s a video of “What’s Victoria’s Secret?” Just for fun.